Get to Know Texas’ A Walk in My Shoes Foundation
At The Power Of A Dream, we provide information to people in Texas communities hoping to make a difference. For example, A Walk in My Shoes Foundation, founded by Eric Castillo in July 2012, has the goal of collecting and distributing new and gently used shoes to those in need. In the words of Castillo, the mission is to help people “get back on their feet.” Within the first five years, they’ve gathered and donated over 17,000 pairs of shoes to homeless shelters and other charitable organizations. They hope to continue growing to meet the needs of Texas and neighboring states, maybe even beyond national borders.
Donations Go to Many Organizations
This charity is grateful for the support they’ve received from local organizations. Some of the organizations receiving donations include:
- Haven for Hope: coordinates and delivers a system of care for those without homes. This group offers a chance at a new beginning.
- Boys and Girls Club: provides young people with programs relating to education, career help, character and leadership, the arts, health and life skills, fitness, sports and recreation.
- Red Cross: works through volunteers and donors to prevent and alleviate human suffering brought about by emergencies. This disaster relief organization operates globally.
- Dress for Success: offers lower-income women the chance to rise above poverty, domestic violence and homelessness by offering job preparation, job retention training and career development.
- SAMMinistries: works to resolve homelessness by helping families currently experiencing homelessness or who are at risk achieve independence while providing shelter, housing and related services.
Are You Looking for Community Service Opportunities?
At The Power Of A Dream, we’d like to help you achieve your volunteer and mentoring goals. If you’re interested in this foundation or others, contact us at 210-833-8786 or watch our film The Power of a Dream.